Postdoctoral researcher Polymerization-Induced Electrostatic Self-assembly
Are you interested in polymers, micelles and scattering?
Are you passionate about your research and keen to interact with others?
Are you curious to learn more about out-of-equilibrium assembly processes?
Irène Curie Fellowship
Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
Polymer micelles composed of oppositely charged block copolymers are fascinating hydrocolloids with great appeal in various application areas including biomedicine. Polymerization-induced electrostatic self-assembly (PIESA) has recently been introduced as an attractive means to prepare these micelles on large scale and mild conditions. Extraordinary morphologies have been accessed, but these are often unstable. We recently discovered a novel strategy to regulate the polymerization, which offers excellent control over the assembly pathway. In this project you will this deploy this strategy to prepare polymer micelles with custom-tailored morphology, dimensions and properties. You will use RAFT for the templated polymerization and scattering tools and (electron) microscopy for characterization. You will study the opportunities and limitations of this novel technology focusing in particular on the engineering of out-of-equilibrium assembly pathways to generate well-defined, complex multi-responsive and multi-compartment micellar and vesicular architectures. Our aim is to develop new tools to prepare nanosized, polymeric hydrocolloids with fine-tuned architectures and properties.
- PhD in polymer science. Experience with light scattering, X-ray scattering, PIESA (or PISA), RAFT and/or electron microscopy.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated by an outstanding PhD thesis and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong motivation to do excellent, original, fundamental research.
- Excellent mastering of the English language, good communication and leadership skills. Note that there is no Dutch language requirement.
- Independent and goal-oriented scientist. Team player and able to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and international context.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for 1, with the possibility to extend the contract with 1 additional year.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for research, valorization and professional development.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Informatie en sollicitatie
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
For further information on this vacancy please contact Prof. Dr. Ir. Ilja Voets, i.voets[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 5303.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Leo van Houten, l.v.houten[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 8269.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- A letter of recommendation from one or more of your references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.