We are looking for one PhD student at the Department of Computer Science and Mathematics at the Eindhoven University of Technology. The candidate will work in the SECurity cluster on the NWA CATRIN project. The goal of CATRIN is to startup the Responsible Internet, a novel security-by-design concept and extension to the Internet that enables higher levels of trust and sovereignty.
CATRIN integrates technology, economics, and policy research to deliver a first operational Responsible Internet. All the PhDs hired in the project contribute to this effort from different expertise angles.
The research position
This position focuses on the enhancement of current threat intelligence and threat monitoring technologies. The goal of the position is to develop, test, and operationalize enhanced and extensible data models for threat intelligence to support monitoring and detection activities by including information on adversaries, attack procedures, and the information provided by the “Responsible Internet” model. This approach will require a multidisciplinary approach integrating a deep understanding of attacker operations and methods with technical solutions for data analysis and threat monitoring. These approaches will integrate methods from the domains of Natural Language Processing (NLP), and Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML).
The SECurity cluster at TU/e is uniquely positioned to support this type of research: the cluster conducts cutting-edge research on cybercriminal operations via underground market infiltration and attacker measurements, as well as running its own, in-house, commercial Security Operation Center (SOC). As such the cluster offers unique insights and data on attacker and defender operations supporting this research. The successful candidate will have access to a broad network of researchers and data, as well as direct access to the TU/e SOC for data collection and experimentation.
An extensive project description is available on request.
- carry out research within the project, in cooperation with the other parties involved;
- develop the techniques and tool prototypes required by the project, in cooperation with the other parties involved;
- contribute to the writing of scientific papers;
- finishing a PhD thesis within four years;
- contributing to the teaching activities of the Security group.
We are looking for a candidate who meets the following requirements:
- a MSc in Computer Science, Mathematics or closely related field with above average results
- a research oriented attitude;
- interest in computer security and human computer interaction;
- knowledge of attack detection and computer networks is a plus;
- good communicative skills in English, both written and oral;
- ability to work in a team, cooperate with the industrial partners;
- fluent in spoken and written English.
For more information about the project, please contact dr. L. Allodi, e-mail: l.allodi[at]tue.nl
For information about employment conditions click here or contact HR, e-mail: HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl
The application should consist of the following parts:
- a motivation letter;
- a Curriculum Vitae;
- brief description of your MSc thesis:
- copies of your diplomas together with the list of grades, and other relevant certificates;
- names and addresses of two referees;
- proof of English language skills (if applicable).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.