PhD position on High performance organic aerogels
Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
Aerogels are low density solids with high open porosity and surface area, with exceptionally low thermal conductivities and high acoustic attenuation. In this program we aim to pave the way towards the next generation of organic aerogels with outstanding mechanical, chemical and thermal stability, and flame retardancy. The research activities will include the synthesis of new monomers, optimization of polymer structure (chemical composition and architecture), aerogel properties (density, porosity, mechanics, thermal conductivity, etc.) as well as the understanding of correlation between the chemistry, sol-gel process and the final aerogel properties. These novel high-performance aerogels can be envisioned as lightweight super-insulating materials in aerospace applications and more down-to-Earth uses in construction and transportation, as well as in energy storage and catalytic applications.
- We seek highly talented, motivated, and enthusiastic candidates with a MSc degree in polymer chemistry, organic chemistry, or a related discipline.
- The successful candidate has a solid background in polymer and organic chemistry.
- Good communication skills, the candidate needs to be fluent in English.
- Strong motivation to do original, fundamental research in an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience with the synthesis and characterization of polymers or organic molecules is essential.
- A research oriented attitude.
- Ability to work in a team and <interested in collaborating with the industrial partners>.
An interview and a scientific presentation are part of the selection process.
- We offer a challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious, multidisciplinary research team in the Polymer performance materials group of the Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry at Eindhoven University of Technology.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- The candidate is expected to finish the project with a PhD thesis and disseminate the results through publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at international conferences.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Informatie en sollicitatie
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact Prof.Dr. Željko Tomović, z.tomovic[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 5294.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact Leo van Houten, HR Advisor, l.v.houten[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 8269.
Further information about Eindhoven University of Technology and the department of Chemical Engineering & Chemistry can be found at here.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'solliciteer nu'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- An application letter that outlines your qualification, interest and motivation for this position
- A CV with details on education, employment, publications, and research experience, as well as contact information for two referees.
Please send your application documents before December 31, 2020. Review of applications will start as soon as applications are received and will continue until the position has been filled.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.