PhD position in Machine Learning
Interesting PhD position in Machine Learning in Data and AI (DAI) cluster at TU/e.
Mathematics & Computer Science
The Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI) group is a new and quickly growing group embedded in the Data and AI (DAI) cluster at the Eindhoven University of Technology. In the DAI cluster, we aim at developing foundations of AI for the present and the future. This includes the design of new AI methods, development of AI algorithms and tools with a view at expanding the reach of AI and its generalization abilities. In particular, we study foundational issues of robustness, safety, trust, reliability, tractability, scalability, interpretability and explain ability of AI.
The UAI group is looking for a highly motivated and skilled PhD candidate to work in an area of Machine Learning as suggested below. The concrete research direction will be determined together with the successful candidate. Potential topics include, but are not restricted to:
- (Deep) Reinforcement Learning
- (Contextual) Multi-Armed Bandits
- Counterfactual Learning
- Fairness-aware Learning
- Fairness in Reinforcement Learning
- Off-policy Reinforcement Learning
- Modeling Bias in Machine Learning
- Decision Making under Uncertainty
- Auto ML
- Explainable AI
- Recommendation Systems
We encourage you to express your preferences on the above topics (if applicable) in your research statement.
We are looking for a motivated candidate with:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent coding skills (e.g. Python, PyTorch, Tensorflow);
- Excellent academic writing and presentation skills;
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken);
- Desire to conduct excellent research and publish in high quality conferences and journals;
- Independent thinker and self-responsibility;
- Ability and desire to collaborate and work in teams;
- Ability and desire to support teaching and to co-supervise bachelor and master students;
- Knowledge of Reinforcement Learning is an advantage.
We offer you:
- An exciting job in a dynamic work environment
- A full time appointment for 4 year at Eindhoven University of Technology (www.tue.nl/en)
- The salary is in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities, increasing from € 2.395 per month initially, up to € 3.061 per month.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including end-of-year bonus (8,3% in December), an extra holiday allowance (8% in May), moving expenses and excellent sports facilities.
More information on employment conditions can be found here:
Informatie en sollicitatie
In your application, please submit:
- A research statement, including research experience and interests, and a short outline of the preferred future research direction (max. 1 page);
- A CV, including education history, relevant courses and theses, research experience (if available), a list of publications (if available), and teaching experience (if available);
- Electronic copy of (or a link to) Master thesis;
- Electronic copy of publications (if available; if more than 3, please submit top 3). If no publications are available, please submit some substitute, e.g. presentations slides of a given presentation;
- Contact details of or recommendation letters from 2 references.
For further information concerning the position, please contact Asst.Prof. Dr. Maryam Tavakol (m.tavakol[at]tue.nl
For information about the employment conditions please contact HRServices.MCS@tue.nl