PhD position in International cooperation in climate technology transfer
TUe is ranked by the Times Higher Education Supplement.
It is in particular well known for its joint research with industry ranked number one worldwide by the Centre for Science and Technology Studies
Faculteit Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences
Your PhD project is embedded in the Department of Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences (IE&IS) of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). TU/e is one of the world’s leading research universities (ranked by the Times Higher Education Supplement). It is in particular well‐known for its joint research with industry (ranked number one worldwide by the Centre for Science and Technology Studies).
Within the Department IE&IS you will be affiliated with the research group Technology, Innovation & Society (TIS). The TIS group of the School of Innovation Sciences is an ambitious, international group. Our research focuses on understanding the development and use of technology in a societal context. Our staff teaches in the BSc program 'Sustainable Innovation', and the MSc program 'Innovation Sciences', as well as in university-wide programs for engineering students.
The department of IE&IS has a strong national and international reputation for both basic research in the academic community and applied research with industry. You will have the opportunity to benefit from that environment and to contribute to the ongoing research.
PhD research project
The foreseen research project aims to shed more light on the opportunities and challenges of international cooperation in climate technology transfer under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). It combines insights from transition and innovation studies with political science (international relations), development studies and climate technology engineering. The research project will contribute to a programme that aims to:
- Contribute to the sustainability transitions literature by incorporating the actual multilateral technology discussions in the UNFCCC and under the Paris Agreement, using country and technology data to shed light on the global climate technology transfer landscape and the underlying country and other actor interests
- Contribute to the discussions in the Technology Executive Committee and the Climate Technology Centre and Network and the Paris Agreement technology framework under the UNFCCC
- Contribute to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and other UN assessments
You, as a successful applicant, will engage with the research project mainly by following a qualitative research approach, but combine this with quantitative insights where possible. You will:
- mobilise theoretical insights and employ qualitative research methods for data gathering (including interviewing, observations and field visits) and analysis;
- contribute to projects for international organisations related to the international climate negotiations;
- report your research findings at (international) conferences and workshops and in scientific journals;
- present the results of the research in a PhD-dissertation, to be completed within four years;
- be engaged in contributing to and supporting teaching activities at Bachelor and Master level (no more than 15% of your time).
You want to put your brains and heart to work for understanding and contributing to impactful, responsible and democratic innovations for our world. You love to learn, analyse, write and make a difference. The ideal advanced student for this program will have a strong, demonstrated capacity to undertake advanced study in technology- and policy-related fields, with a high level of accomplishment in their Master's level study.
For this particular position, you
- hold a Master’s degree in public policy, innovation studies, political science, energy science or similar, preferably with a focus on climate change
- have advanced methodological skills and proven experience with qualitative or quantitative but preferably mixed methods research designs
- have excellent communication skills and an excellent command of written and spoken English
- are reliable, can work and deliver timely both independently and in a team, and have strong organisational skills and a pro-active work attitude
- preferably have teaching experience
- A full-time appointment for a period of 4 years at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). With an intermediate evaluation after nine months
- Gross monthly salary from € 2.325 (gross in the first year) to € 2.972 per month (last year).
- TU/e offers an additional 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program), and excellent sport facilities.
Informatie en sollicitatie
Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
- Cover letter (max. 2 pages), in which you motivate your interest in this vacancy and explicitly describe your fit with this research project.
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- A sample research document written by the candidate: a relevant (working) paper, or a master thesis
- Name and contact information of two references
- If your degree is not from an English-spoken program, a proof of proficiency in English needs to be included in your package (such as IELTS or TOEFL).
Note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
We ask candidates to apply before the deadline of March 27, 2020. Interviews will take place on April 9, 2020.
To apply please use the 'apply for this job button'. Please note that a maximum of 5 documents can be uploaded, so if you have more than 5 documents you will have to combine them. Please do not send us applications by e-mail.
For further information about the research project, please contact prof. dr. Heleen de Coninck (h.c.de.coninck[at]tue.nl or prof. dr. Floor Alkemade (f.alkemade[at]tue.nl).
Information about terms of employment can be obtained from Ms. Kim van Puijenbroek, the HR advisor (pz.ieis[at]tue.nl).
Further information about the Eindhoven University of Technology can be found at www.tue.nl.