PhD in Hydrogen Storage for Energy Applications using Molecular Simulations
We are looking for a motivated student to join the Energy Technology section in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. The main goal during the PhD program is to grow as an independent researcher by developing the necessary skills during the project.
The pollution generated by the use and storage of fossil fuels has created a clear demand for alternative sources of clean and renewable energy. The main disadvantage of some renewable sources is the intermittency in energy generation, i.e., solar, wind power. To help balance the energy supply and demand, the generation must be accompanied by energy storage systems.
A promising solution is the use of hydrogen as an energy carrier for clean energy because of its non-toxicity, high specific energy, and non-CO2 emission after combustion. The challenge is to find hydrogen storage materials with high capacity.
Your research will focus on the study of different crystalline porous materials such as Metal-Organic frameworks (MOFs), zeolites, and Covalent-Organic frameworks (COFs), for storage and purification of hydrogen. Your task is to investigate the adsorption properties of the materials and characterize the most promising candidates with a particular interest in the energetic features of the system. To translate the results into real-world applications, the systems will be assessed as adsorption-based energy storage systems.
You can and are encouraged to change and define your own research line within the project framework in collaboration with your supervisors, A. Luna-Triguero and D.M.J. Smeulders.
- A master’s degree (or an equivalent university degree) in mechanical engineering, chemistry, physics or similar.
- A research oriented attitude.
- Ability to work in a team and <interested in collaborating with the industrial partners>.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Informatie en sollicitatie
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. A. Luna-Triguero, a.luna.triguero[at]tue.nl
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.gemini[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.