SBC PDEng program
The SBC PDEng program wants to contribute to the transition towards smart, intelligent and sustainable cities where quality of life is high. This transition requires new solutions which can only be created through multiscale and transdisciplinary (design) approaches. This requires technical designers who are able to work in a multidisciplinary environment and know how to communicate with different disciplines and stake holders. This PDEng program educates trainees to become those technical designers! Please note that this program is about technological design, i.e., the process of solving problems by means of a technological design, this in contrast to (PhD) research, which is the process of understanding problems. For more information on the SBC program contact dr. L. Hensen Centnerová, email; L.Hensen [at]tue.nl
The two-year post-master technological designer program leads to the degree of ‘Professional Doctorate in Engineering’ (PDEng). The program consists of two main parts running in parallel:
- Half of the program consists of post-master level education in the form of generic design projects and courses about design methods, entrepreneurship, professional skills and several technical courses about topics relevant to the design project.
- The other half of the program is dedicated to an individual design project in collaboration with a company. It is the main responsibility of the trainee to manage and execute the project. The trainee is supported by an advisor from the company and an advisor from the university.
The company design project is about energy and maintenance optimization using the ‘big-data’ from the BMS systems. Companies need knowledge of machine learning algorithms and systems engineering, which they generally don’t have. There is a body of knowledge developed nationally and internationally by research institutes and a few expert companies in the field of data-driven methods (e.g. energy signatures, grey-box models, machine learning), but this body of knowledge is only scarcely finding its way to the building services industry. Tools need be developed for energy diagnoses services, on-line remote control and management, just in time maintenance for feedback to the design departments/companies. Objective of the PDEng assignment is to design and implement a smart data control strategy based on model based approaches as well as on a Big Data machine learning approaches. The PDEng trainee will be embedded in the Building Services group. For questions about the project contact prof.ir. Wim Zeiler
Who can apply?
We are looking for
• an excellent and highly motivated candidate with an MSc degree in Building Science, Informatics, Mathematical, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, or equivalent. Interest in informatics, physical processes (heat, air and moisture transfer) in the built environment and computational building performance simulation is essential.
• an interest in developing new control technologies and applications for the built environment.
• an academic attitude in order to develop new technologies and perform applied research with an integral view on what is needed for the future built environment.
• an excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
What do we provide?
We offer a fulltime traineeship of two years. The traineeship is a formal employment at the Eindhoven University of Technology according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). Trainees receive a financial compensation according to this standard. Gross salary: € 1913.
Trainees are provided with their own workplace in the building of the Department of the Built Environment. The university provides all general modern facilities belonging to first class universities; mediation in housing, excellent sports facilities, language courses, modern digital library facilities etc. For more information please visit http://www.tue.nl/en/.
If you have questions about the content of this position, please contact prof.ir Wim Zeiler, e-mail: w.zeiler[at]tue.nl.
Information about the employment conditions can be found here: https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/why-tue/compensation-and-benefits/
You can respond to this vacancy via our application page www.tue.nl/jobs by clicking on the button "Solliciteer op deze vacature / Apply for this job". We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
We would like to receive the following five documents (in Pdf format):
1. Maximum two-page letter of motivation
2. Maximum three-page curriculum vitae
3. Copies of relevant BSc and MSc diplomas with transcripts + copies of English proficiency tests scores such as IELTS or TOEFL
4. Copy (or a most recent draft version) of your MSc thesis
5. At least two names with contact details (preferably e-mail) of people whom we may contact for more information about you and your thesis, or last professional work.
Please do not upload documents larger than 2MB, so if necessary, reduce the resolution of your documents.
An excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
The application deadline for this position is May 31, 2020. After this deadline the high potential candidates will be shortlisted. These candidates will be invited for a second selection round. In this second round the candidates are requested to send a small assignment (max. 2-3 pages). After this round the most promising candidates are invited for an interview with a selection committee. The invited candidates will be asked to prepare a short presentation motivating their interest in the program. After all interviews are conducted the selection committee will decide who will be offered the trainee position. Our aim is to inform the candidate of our final decision no later than June 30, 2020.