Machine Learning Postdoc positions
Irène Curie Fellowship
Mathematics and Computer Science
At the Data and AI cluster at the Eindhoven University of Technology, we aim at developing foundations of AI for the present and the future. This includes the design of new AI methods, development of AI algorithms and tools with a view at expanding the reach of AI and its generalization abilities. In particular, we study foundational issues of robustness, safety, trust, reliability, tractability, scalability, interpretability and explainability of AI. We seek for several postdoctoral researchers (1-3 years) to enhance our strengths in research and education.
The successful candidate will work with topics related to theoretical, application-inspired and/or applied AI and machine learning, and will play a significant role in one or more of the current and future research projects in the group, including but not limited to:
- NWO Perspectief Project Personalized Oncology, involving decision support systems for better personalized care.
- H2020 SmartChange, where our part includes self-audit of (federated) ML models on accuracy, robustness, and fairness, and actionable counterfactual explanations that can be translated into coaching recommendations.
- EDF KOIOS, where our part is to study different intersections of robustness (including adversarial), explainability and frugality, e.g. lack of compute resources on an edge device or relevant data in continual learning).
- H2020 ENFIELD, in which we study next-generation brain-inspired continual AI algorithms that are more robust to distribution shifts and adversarial attacks and that can continuously adapt to the environment.
- MATTER, where we study how to make use of Knowledge Graphs and Large Language Models for helping service engineers to satisfy their information needs.
Broad research topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Trustworthy AI.
- Robustness in ML.
- Frugal AI and Green AI on evolving data.
- Interpretable and explainable AI.
- Decision making under uncertainty.
- Probabilistic ML, Probabilistic graphical models, Tractable probabilistic models.
- Knowledge Graphs.
- Large Language Models.
- Self-audit and performance profiling of ML models.
- Use cases of AI/ML in personalized healthcare, behavior change, defense, pig/poultry industry.
There will be opportunities for collaboration with multiple researchers inside and outside the university. The successful candidate will also contribute to educational tasks of the group, including the involvement in advanced courses in AI and machine learning, as well as (co-)supervision of students in all levels.
We look for a motivated and highly skilled candidate with:
- A PhD degree in AI/ML, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Excellent track-record demonstrated by high-quality scientific papers.
- Strong mathematical, analytical, and programming skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Creativity, independence, and dedication to advancing science.
- Ability and will to collaborate and work in teams and to coordinate/manage research projects.
- Ability and will to do research on one (or more) of the topics of interest of the research group.
- Ability and will to support teaching and to (co-)supervise bachelor, master and PhD students.
- Availability to start soon.
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for 1-3 years.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10 (min. €3,877 max. €5,090).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
Informatie en sollicitatie
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact Mykola Pechenizkiy (m.pechenizkiy[at]tue.nl) or Cassio P. de Campos (c.decampos[at]tue.nl).
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application using the apply-button.
The application should include a:
- Research statement, including research experience and interests, and a short outline of future research directions (max. 2 pages).
- A CV, including education history, relevant courses and theses, research experience, list of publications, and teaching experience, etc.
- Short description/motivation about your 3 most important outputs (publications, theses, software, etc) (max. 1 page).
- Contact details of 2-3 referees.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.