Lecturer (Docent) in Power Electronics and Electromechanics
Faculteit Electrical Engineering
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a young university, founded in 1956 by industry, local government and academia. Today, their spirit of collaboration is still at the heart of the university community. We foster an open culture where everyone feels free to exchange ideas and take initiatives.
Eindhoven University of Technology offers academic education that is driven by fundamental and applied research. Our educational philosophy is based on personal attention and room for individual ambitions and talents. Our research meets the highest international standards of quality. We push the limits of science, which puts us at the forefront of rapidly emerging areas of research.
Eindhoven University of Technology combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on mentality. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow. We understand things by making them and we make things by understanding them.
Our campus is in the centre of one of the most powerful technology hubs in the world: Brainport Eindhoven. Globally, we stand out when it comes to collaborating with advanced industries. Together with other institutions, we form a thriving ecosystem with one common aim – to improve quality of life through sustainable innovations.
The Electromechanics and Power Electronics group is one of the nine research groups of the Department of Electrical Engineering at TU/e. The group is the main center for research in electromechanical power conversion and power electronics in the Netherlands. The research is aligned with the three main strategic research themes of the Eindhoven University of Technology, i.e. Energy, Health and Smart Mobility. The four research tracks of the EPE group are high-tech motion systems and robotics, power electronics systems, smart mobility and advanced modeling. Furthermore, the group is one of the founders of the High Tech Systems Center in which all mechatronic knowledge of the TU/e will be bundled.
We are looking for a Docent in Power Electronics and Electromechanics, who will work in the Electromechanics and Power Electronics (EPE) group, at the Department of Electrical Engineering.
This docent position consists of applied activities in educational support, teaching innovation, and research in fields of power electronics and electromechanics. The docent will be responsible to assist the organization, development and implementation of educational activities in this multidisciplinary field. It is expected that (s)he will also be able to bring the new vision in electrical engineering curriculum (energy-conversion, automotive, system and control, and sustainable energy programs) in order to reshape and support the teaching practices. The docent should be able to use existing digital tools, modern laboratory equipment (hardware / software facilities) and provide new opportunities for excellent education to our students.
Moreover, the candidate will elaborate power electronic and electromechanics educational modules, will co-supervise Bachelor and Master projects, will participate in committees of internships and graduation exams, and will carry out general teaching activities, such as:
- Preparation of instructions, tutorials, assignments for courses, homework and quizzes.
- Assistance in preparation of exams/assessments and evaluation of technical papers/reports according to the rubrics and criteria.
- Elaboration of design base-learning activities.
- Supervision of the students.
- Use the scientific foundations and experimental practice for improving course contents and running OGO projects.
- Motivate and teach a small or big group of students and provide coaching during the laboratory sessions.
- Help in developing new courses.
- Preparation and maintenance of the setups needed for the different courses (DC and AC electrical machines)
- Design of software for electrical drives (MATLAB, MathCAD, C/C++, PLECS, LTSpice, PSim, Labview and Triphase modules).
The candidate should be able to work independently at high abstraction level on different national and international research projects in different fields of power electronics (such as power converter topologies and applications and their control) including mathematical analysis, simulations, design, hardware development, and experimental validation.
For the Docent position, candidates are expected to have the following qualifications:
- The candidate should have a MSc in the field of electrical engineering or applied physics and have both research and educational experience.
- Affinity to national and international academic education.
- Experience in supervision of BSc, MSc students.
- Ability to teach at Bachelor and Master level.
- Ability to plan activities of scientific and academic projects.
- Undertake, as appropriate to the demands of the post, research, teaching, scholarly activity, supervision of research students and administration (digital educational dashboards).
- Excellent command of the English language is required.
- A very strong analytical background, with sound mathematical skills and excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Experience in designing electrical circuits and electrical machines, and in experimental validation.
- Experience with programming of microcontrollers, dSpace, FPGA systems.
- Practical experience with laboratory instruments (such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, sensors, function generators, power analysers, wattmeters and multimeters).
- Required experience in the following topics
- Power converters
- Electrical drives
- Permanent magnet machines
- Wireless energy transfer
- Experience with various microcontrollers.
- Experience in programming (MATLAB, MathCAD, C/C++, PLECS, LTSpice, PSim, Labview and Triphase modules).
- Knowledge of and experience in these fields is a big plus:
- High precision amplifiers and/or motion systems
- Serial communication protocols (like CAM, SPI, RS232)
- Classical and modern control theory
- Work experience in an international multi-partner project environment.
- The ability to independently plan, organize, structure and carry out his/her own work with a proactive attitude, to set and work towards goals and to cooperate with others.
- A desire and drive to work on demanding technical problems, and the ability to come up with creative solutions to these problems.
- Good communication skills, both in conversations with colleagues and in presentations to a range of different audiences.
- Ability to share concepts, ideas and solutions with peers in a clear and concise manner without omitting the essentials.
- Organisational skills, e.g. time management and ability to meet deadlines.
- Scientific writing skills.
- Ability to write reports, paper and other technical documents using both Latex and Word and be able to prepare presentations in Power Point.
- Knowledge of illustration software such as Adobe or Corel Draw is a plus.
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university;
- An appointment for initially 1 year with the possibility to extent with 4 years. Starting date: flexible, but preferably as soon as possible.
- A gross monthly salary of a Lecturer between € 2,709 and € 4,274 (based on a fulltime appointment), depending on experience and knowledge.
- A yearly holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary;
- A yearly end of year allowance of 8.3% of the yearly salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes and excellent sports facilities).
Informatie en sollicitatie
- For information concerning employment conditions you can contact Paul Hulsen, p.h.w.hulsen[at]tue.nl.
- For more information about the project, please contact the chair of the EPE group - prof. dr. Elena Lomonova, e.lomonova[at]tue.nl. or dr. ir. Alessia Senes, Project Manager, a.senes[at]tue.nl.
- More information on employment conditions can be found here: Employment conditions.
If interested, please use 'apply now'-button at the top of this page.
Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s) and teaching evaluations (if any));
- Contact information of at least two references;
- Copies of diplomas;
Please do not send us your applications by email.
Please note that a maximum of 5 documents of 2 MB each can be uploaded.