Assistant Professor in Distributed and Parallel Computing
Are you an enthusiastic researcher with a proven track record in the area of distributed and parallel computing with a special emphasis on cloud, fog, and edge, who would like to contribute to the challenging field of interconnected intelligent systems? You may be the candidate we are looking for.
Mathematics and Computer Science
Rapid advances in digitalization have created a situation in which people, objects, systems, and organizations are connected. In such a connected world, large volumes of data are continuously generated and need to be efficiently exchanged, stored, and processed. The concept of “centralization” from both storage and processing perspectives has undergone rapid changes in recent years. Pervasiveness is not a “nice to have” property anymore and together with new dimensions of distributed-ness it is becoming a necessity.
Diversity of data, applications’ quality of service requirements, system architectures, computing platforms, and resources, to name but a few, has not only introduced significant scientific and technological challenges towards guaranteeing systems performance, but also created new social (e.g. privacy and accountability) and economic (e.g. sustainability) challenges to be met.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science has a vacancy for an assistant professor addressing the above-mentioned challenges within the Interconnected Resource-aware Intelligent Systems (IRIS) cluster. Research focus of the IRIS cluster is on distributed (embedded) systems and their performance challenges in terms of scalability, reliability, dependability, programmability, timing behavior, robustness, accuracy, energy and data computation efficiency, and trustworthiness.
In the context of this vacancy, you are expected to:
- perform outstanding research in the area of distributed and parallel computing (with a special emphasis on cloud, fog, and edge);
- design and teach relevant courses in the area of (architecture of) distributed systems, distributed and parallel computing;
- initiate, acquire, and coordinate research projects;
- strengthen industrial collaborations of the cluster;
- supervise BSc, MSc, PhD and PDEng students;
- establish research collaborations both within TU/e and (inter)nationally;
- contribute to research and teaching visions of the cluster, department, and TU/e.
We are looking for a candidate that add value to the IRIS cluster and match the following profile:
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics with a strong publication record and outstanding research achievements and other indicators of international recognition such as invited talks and membership in PC, TPC, or editorial boards;
- Successful experience in acquiring external research funding from (inter)national funding agencies and/or industry;
- Clear research and teaching visions;
- Affinity with applying research results to real-world problems and applying mathematic models to the field of computation;
- Successful experience in supervising PhD students as main/daily supervisor;
- Proven didactic skills and teaching experience (demonstrated by having a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ, or its equivalent) and/or detailed teaching track record provided in CV;
- Excellent communication, organization, leadership, and collaboration skills.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children daycare and sports facilities.
Informatie en sollicitatie
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more about IRIS cluster? Please visit: https://iris.win.tue.nl
For information about terms of employment, please contact Elly van den Eertwegh, recruiter, e.a.m.v.d.eertwegh[at]tue.nl or + 31 (0)6 39186476.
Eindhoven University of Technology is a top-ranking Dutch university that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a number 1 position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it is like to be working as an Assistant Professor at TU/e. Please view the video below.
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now' button on this page. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
- Curriculum vitae, including your publications list highlighting five self-selected ‘best publications’
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages)
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages)
- 2 recent recommendation letters
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.