Assistant Professor at the department of Industrial Design
Interaction Design for and with Emerging Technologies
Faculteit Industrial Design
Department of Industrial Design (ID) is one of the nine departments of TU/e, and has an internationally leading position because of its core commitment to research through design (RtD) and its strikingly original conceptual work.
ID’s ambition is to be recognized as one of the top departments in the world that conduct exciting research in the intersection of Design, Technology and Human-Computer Interaction. In particular, the department aims to inspire and educate a new generation of design engineers who will be fluent in using AI/ML algorithms and Data. Building on its unique expertise and tradition in the area of aesthetics of interaction (on how to design product service systems with aesthetic experience) --- we aim to develop leading expertise in the aesthetics of artificial intelligence (how to design intelligent systems that can be experienced pleasantly). In addition, data will play a crucial role both in understanding groups of users in real time and real-world context, and in developing an in-depth and overtime understanding of people in order to provide ultra-personalized service. This position is embedded in the Future Everyday research cluster.
“Future Everyday bridges the gap between emerging technologies and people’s everyday life.”
The Future Everyday cluster is a highly ambitious community of design researchers, concerned with understanding, exploring, and shaping an everyday life of individuals/small groups that encompasses the new reality of living and working, in spaces that are becoming more responsive, continuous and experiential in the future with emerging technologies. Currently, we focus on designing with technologies such as internet of things, wearables/soft things, small/local data, machine learning --- and designing for aesthetics in an everyday life with all the nuances and subtleties that are inherently dynamic, ever-changing and shaped by personal and collective values, needs and desires. We seek to better understand how to create the right conditions --- over time and space --- to allow human-technology relationships to grow and adapt to future situations.
Current qualities of the FE group:
- Reputation in research through design, user engagement and digital craftsmanship
- Track-record in conferences (CHI, DIS, TEI, IUI, EICS) and top-ranked Design and HCI journals
- Ambitious research facilities for making, realizing and testing in the world’s most sustainable education building Atlas
- Extensive experience in working together in interdisciplinary teams
- Innovative and productive collaboration between education and research
To further strengthen these competences, FE is looking for researchers with a strong affinity with (interaction) design capable of creating/prototyping systems at the cross-section of the physical and digital divide using emerging technologies, e.g. Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and/or Smart Materials.
We are looking for aspiring assistant professors who will develop a research program in one or more of the following areas:
- Embedding AI and ML in tangible and embodied interaction
- Implementing AI in expressive designs, as an interplay of materiality, interaction, and computation
- Studying interactive recommender systems and context awareness in application domains such as healthcare, learning and automotive.
- Study and design aesthetic qualities of AI or ML embedded in designs and interaction
- Study and design multi-intentionality, explainability, negotiation and personalization of future computational systems embedded in the (future) everyday
- Interest in and experience with the making of design artefacts, samples and demonstrators.
- Design of new multimodal interaction for the future everyday
- Visual and physical analytics (data physicalisation) in everyday life applications (health, learning, automotive)
- PhD in industrial design, human-computer interaction or a comparable domain.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and/or publication(s).
- Ability to teach, shown by experience or assistance in teaching and positive evaluations of these teaching efforts.
- Creative and dedicated to (multidisciplinary) collaboration.
- Good communication and (potential) leadership skills.
- Excellent proficiency (written and oral) in English.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- A Development Track of five years with the prospect of becoming Associate Professor. After a maximum of four years the tenure decision will be made.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Informatie en sollicitatie
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
For information about the position, the procedure or terms of employment, please contact Cecile Gijsbers, Consultant Euflex, email@example.com or +31 40 2474055 or +31651164692.
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to your application. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.