University Level Teacher Data Science 0,8 - 1,0 fte
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science seeks an University Level Teacher Data Science
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
Data Science Center Eindhoven
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (M&CS) is responsible for three Bachelor Level programs and four Master Level programs. Over the last few years, the number of students has increased significantly, partly because of the increasing popularity of the bachelor program Data Science and the master track Data Science in Engineering. Within the unique Bachelor College system of Eindhoven University, the Department also teaches two successful university-wide courses to 2000+ students, one of which is a data science course. The Department is therefore seeking to expand its teaching capacity and is looking for a highly motivated teacher in the area of data science.
The lecturer will be involved in courses taught in English. All courses are taught by a team of instructors, so you can develop your skill and gain experience. Among the tasks are lecturing, teaching tutorials, assessing assignments and exams, and supervising group projects and students writing their bachelor thesis. Successful candidates will spend 80% of their time teaching while 20% is available for research on educational innovation and other tasks. Part of the teaching time will be used for educational innovation projects focused on new teaching methods (e.g. blended learning, challenge-based learning). These projects are carried out by the newly installed Educational Innovation group within the department. The position offers a great opportunity for candidates with teaching experience and/or who would like to gain experience in a dynamic, innovative teaching environment. We are looking for a candidate who is a team player with a passion for teaching and ideas for teaching students (with different backgrounds) in an innovative, interactive way.
Candidate should fulfil the following requirements:
- PhD in data science or related fields. Candidates who are close to completing their PhD thesis will also be considered.
- Has experience with different aspects of data science (collection, storage, analysis), and be familiar with current technology and tools of data science
- A drive to engage in top-level teaching and relevant teaching experience at the Bachelor and/or Master level. In addition, you have or are willing to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (BKO in Dutch) and you have good teaching skills, as evidenced by teaching experience in the domain of data science and good evaluations and references.
- Strong interest in ICT-enhanced learning matters, and eagerness to participate in educational innovation projects.
- Excellent command of English (written/verbal) at minimum C1 level. The ability to speak or the willingness to learn Dutch is appreciated.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment and with students who have a natural science background.
- Team player and prepared to play an active citizenship role within the group (s)he is working in.
- We invite in particular graduates of M&CS.
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university. The opportunity to develop yourself (a.o. through obtaining UTQ (‘BKO’)). The possibility to perform research in education innovation (technology-enhanced education, blended learning etc.).
- An appointment for initially 1 year with the possibility to extend to 4 years. The starting date is flexible, but preferably as soon as possible.
- A gross monthly salary of a Lecturer (UFO Lecturer 4 or 3) between € 2,709 and € 4,978 (based on a fulltime appointment), depending on experience and knowledge.
- A yearly holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary. A yearly end of year allowance of 8.3% of the yearly salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes and excellent sports facilities).
Eindhoven University of Technology is an equal-opportunity employer and has adopted an active policy to increase the number of female employees. Therefore, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Information and application
More information can be obtained from:
- About the position: dr.ir. Marloes van Lierop (040-2473022), senior education policy officer, m.v.lierop[at]tue.nl
- About the employment conditions: Marjolein Von Reth (040-2475722) or Arianne Boekema (040-2475812), HR Advisors of M&CS, pzwin[at]tue.nl.
If you are interested in this position, and you would like to apply, please send us your application by using the 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. Applications by email will not be considered.
Please upload the following (all in English):
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position.
- An extensive curriculum vitae including teaching experience, evaluations and references (if any).
- A teaching statement
You can upload one file including all the required documents (max. 10 MB).
Please send us your application before November 1st, 2019.
Screening of applicants will start as soon as applications are received and will continue until the position has been filled. If they fulfil the job requirements, internal candidates will, in the event of equivalent suitability, be given preference over external candidates.