Senior Backend Engineer (Devops)
Are you a senior backend engineer who wants to be part of building a Security Operations Center (SOC)? We like to get in touch with you!
Non academic staff (supporting staff)
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
The Security group of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at TU Eindhoven is looking for a senior backend engineer to expand its technical staff and to drive the establishment of the Eindhoven Security Hub.
The Eindhoven Security Hub (ESH) and the Security Operations Center (SOC)
The TU/e and its industrial partners are joining forces in the Eindhoven Security Hub to develop a smarter, leaner SOC solution, that provides an answer to the increased security and monitoring needs of society in general and the small and medium enterprises in particular. The ESH SOC will adopt cutting-edge technology (including machine learning and deep learning based solutions) to address the needs of a broader range of business, including e.g. those adopting Industrial Control Systems and IoT technology. Last but not least, the ESH SOC will be a testbed for pioneering research in intrusion detection, prevention, and response.
The SOC is responsible for the availability, confidentiality and integrity of important, often privacy-sensitive data with which the ESH works. In order to guarantee security in a time of cybercrime, open digital communication and online information exchange, the SOC is committed daily to detecting, analyzing and dealing with security notifications.
The position is part of the Security group at TU Eindhoven, which has a leading role in the establishment of the Eindhoven Security Hub.
The Security group at TU Eindhoven
TU Eindhoven (TU/e) is a mid-size technical university located in the heart of the high-tech industry in the Netherlands. The Security group is part of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (M&CS), which is one of the largest departments of the TU/e with over 100 (assistant, associate and full) professors, almost 200 PhD and PDEng students, and about 1100 bachelor students and 600 master students. By performing top-level fundamental and applied research, offering high-quality educational programs, and maintaining strong ties with industry, the Security group aims to contribute to science and to innovation in and beyond the region. Its research focus spans from security deployment and management, to physical security and attack engineering.
The TU/e-lead Eindhoven Security Hub is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer (DevOps) to join our engineering team to take critical responsibility for deploying, managing, and growing a cloud-native, next-generation, highly scalable security information platform.
- Oversee the SOC development and contribute in aligning it to the market (e.g., customer load vs SOC resources) and technological (e.g. attack detection technology) conditions;
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the ESH-SOC infrastructure and of the security sensor deployed at customer facilities, assuring timely updates and a smooth operation cycle;
- Create automation tools to translate security monitoring use-cases in monitoring rulesets, and to simplify service operation and monitoring. This service handles big data and is designed to handle many TB of data generated daily;
- You build tools and frameworks to help engineers develop applications on the platform to be more efficient;
- You will be involved in the design discussion of the platform with all development teams to understand the infrastructure and manage the right technology and business alignment with partners, working closely with engineers, analysts and researchers and help driving the ESH-SOC maturity lifecycle to stay ahead of the innovation curve.
- A strong passion for SRE / DevOps and performing highly resilient / automated systems with a desire to solve challenging problems;
- Work experience with open source security solutions, e.g. Security Onion, Elastic Stack, the Hive, Docker, virtualization tools;
- Experience with scripting, (Python, Bash needed) building and maintaining secure Linux-based environments and at least one data analytics tool (Elastic, Hadoop, Splunk);
- Experience in implementing large-scale distributed systems and performance, reliability and scalability issues that occur in such systems;
- Not required but nice to have are experience with network monitoring; experience maintaining SLAs, prioritizing operations when operating complex systems, and experience with best practices and common criteria to build scalable infrastructure (e.g. CICD);
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
Conditions of employment
What we offer
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university;
- Temporary appointment for a period of one year with the possibility of extension at proven competence where then a permanent contract is negotiable.
- The salary will depend on your education, knowledge and experience and is regulated by the CAO (collective labor agreement) for Dutch Universities;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, child daycare on campus, moving expenses, savings schemes, partially paid parental leave, commuting expenses, 41 days of holiday, annually holiday allowance (8%) in May, end-of-year allowance (8.3%) in December and excellent sports facilities).
Information and application
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact dr. Luca Allodi: l.allodi[at]tue.nl.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'Apply Now'-button on this page. Your application should be addressed to dr. Luca Allodi. Your application must include:
- One-page cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position
- A detailed CV