PhD Researcher in Battery Management Systems
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity in one of Europe’s high-tech regions?
Do you have passion to contribute towards a zero-waste society by working towards data-driven and AI-driven modeling of next-gen battery management systems?
Then we have a job for you!
Irène Curie Fellowship
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented PhD researcher to join our team in the field of electrical engineering. The successful candidate will work on developing a connected smart battery management system (BMS) with cloud-based Artificial Intelligent (AI) services and enhanced hardware capabilities for increased battery lifetime and reliability.
The research topic is connected to the Horizon Europe Project EcoMobility (Intelligent, Safe and secure connected Electrical Mobility solutions). The aim of the project is to support European industry and cities in transition from isolate and static transportation means towards a service centric, connected mobility ecosystem by sharing data and services. The project will enable and simplify cooperative development, deployment, operation and life cycle management of connected adaptive mobility solutions.
Your responsibilities will be focusing on the battery management system:
- Design, develop and test a model-based and AI-based BMS for state of estimation, charging, balancing and anomaly fault detection.
- Collaborate with other researchers and engineers to optimize the battery management system and increase battery lifetime.
- Write technical reports, research papers and present research findings at conferences and project meetings.
About the EPE group:
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a world-leading research university specializing in engineering science & technology. Within Department of Electrical Engineering, Electromechanics and Power Electronics (EPE) group has one of the most advanced electromechanics and power electronics laboratories in the Netherlands. It contains state-of-the-art facilities for testing and validation of electromechanical and power electronics systems.
The EPE group consists of 2 full professors, 10 associate and assistant professors, several postdocs, about 30 PhD candidates and support staff. The EPE group is world-renowned for 6-DoF planar motors and levitated stages, wireless energy transfer concepts, tubular actuation concepts, and high-precision power electronics.
The main focus areas of the EPE group are applied and fundamental research in the clusters of high-precision technology, automotive, medical, renewable energy and grids. In recent years, the research focus has strongly grown for innovative and energy-saving conversion systems in line with industrial demands. All research areas are greatly supported by the national and international programs.
We are looking for candidates matching the following profile:
- MSc degree in Electrical Engineering, Control Engineering, Applied Mathematics/Artificial Intelligence or Mechatronics or related field.
- Strong background in battery management systems, AI and control systems.
- Affinity with:
- AI and Machine learning techniques and implementation on research projects.
- Nonlinear modeling, simulation, control and optimization of electrical systems.
- Programming skills in Matlab, Simulink, Phyton or similar software.
- Knowledge of and experience in these fields is a big plus:
- Mobility systems.
- Parameter identification of electrical drive and battery systems.
- Classical and modern control theory and related optimization techniques.
- A very strong analytical background, with sound mathematical skills and excellent problem solving abilities for multi-physical systems.
- Ability to independently organize your own work, to solve problems, to achieve desirable goals and to cooperate.
- Project management skills are a plus.
- Ability to participate in the teaching process in BSc and MSc programs (both taught in English).
- Good scientific writing and documentation skills.
- Strong command of the English language (knowledge of Dutch/German language is a plus).
- Excellent scientific writing skills, preferably proven with peer-reviewed publications.
- Ability and willingness to participate in the educational program offered by the group in the BSc and MSc programs (both taught in English).
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 27 (min. €2,541 max. €3,247).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- Opportunity to work with a dynamic and diverse team of researchers and engineers
- A dynamic and international work environment at one of Europe’s leading universities in the Brainport region with joint forces of academia and industry
- Very broad opportunities for an academic, industrial or mixed career after your promotion at prestigious institutions
- A very lively campus with a tremendous amount of sport facilities for a good work-life balance
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
- Independence at your research direction with close guidance support
- State-of-art laboratories to put your skills and research on applications
- Family-friendly initiatives, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it’s like as a PhD candidate at TU/e? Please view the video.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HR Services, e-mail HRServices.Flux[at]tue.nl.
For more information about the project, please contact Dr. Esin Ilhan Caarls (e.ilhan[at]tue.nl).
Please visit our career page to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. Applications should include the following files in pdf format separately:
- Letter of motivation including;
- Explaining your motivation and suitability for the position.
- 2-page plan on how your research is going to contribute on the specific project.
- Portfolio with relevant work.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae inc. months (not just years) with:
- Education and work experience.
- A list of your publications.
- Key achievements in research projects.
- Contact information of two references (please do not include any letters).
- Brief (1-page description) of your MSc thesis, transcript, course names & grades.
- Results of IELTS or TOEFL test.
A selection of applications will be invited for job interviews. During the interviews, the applicant(s) will be asked to present their portfolio, and defend her/his research plans.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Battery, Battery Management System (BMS), AI, Data driven models, Electrical Drives, Control, Digital Twin, Co-simulation, Automated Mobility applications, Cyber-Physical Systems