PhD on enhancing plasmas for disinfection
Supported by the industry, we are starting a project on the optimization of non-thermal plasmas for disinfection. The project has two aspects – the gas phase plasma and the plasma in interaction with water. The final goal is to maximize efficiency in conditions of small volume and high throughput. The project involves the development of the setup and characterization of both the plasma and the plasma-enhanced water, optimization for efficiency and a lot of scientific analysis of the involved mechanisms. The project will be performed at TU/e.
Your key responsibilities:
- Development of plasma-air and plasma-water setups suitable for scientific research but relevant for the application given by the company
- Implementation of diagnostics as well as elements for the enhancement of the plasma system.
- Using available diagnostics and theory to arrive to a scientific explanation of the observed effects.
- Supervision of master and bachelor students within the project.
- Interaction with teams from the plasma physics community, the associated programme and the involved companies.
- Publication of scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and in conferences. We are aiming for at least 3 articles before the PhD thesis is written.
- You successfully completed higher education studies: Master of Science degree or Diploma.
- You have practical experience in flow or plasma physics research.
- Fluent in English, both in written and oral form.
- Able to write scientific texts in a reasonable amount of time.
- Ability for independent work as well as teamwork.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with networking opportunities at national and international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. Ana Sobota, a.sobota[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.Flux[at]tue.nl.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.