PhD on Biosensor for biomolecular monitoring with single-molecule resolution
Researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology are developing a new technology for continuous biomolecular sensing, called Biosensing by Particle Mobility (BPM). The technology is based on particles attached to a sensing surface that change their mobility by the binding of analyte molecules.
The Molecular Biosensing group (MBx, see www.tue.nl/mbx) at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) studies molecular biosensing technologies with single-molecule resolution. The research leads to novel methods for molecular biosensing, insights into protein function within complex fluids, and novel routes into rapid testing and monitoring applications. The MBx group initiated and organizes the international competition on Sensors for Health (www.sensus.org). Laboratories are shared with the Chemical Biology research group (www.tue.nl/cb) and the Institute for Complex Molecular Systems (www.tue.nl/icms).
Recent publications of our research work are:
- We are looking for talented PhD candidates who are interested to develop a new biosensor technology for continuous biomolecular sensing based on particle motion, for applications in biological processes and healthcare. Important topics are the development of biomolecular architectures, sensor chemistries and fluidics, biophysical modelling, insights into critical parameters for sensor performance, and validation of the sensor with realistic biological systems and closed-loop control.
- Who have a research oriented attitude and the ability to work in a team and <interested in collaborating with the industrial partners>.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Candidates should have a master’s degree (or an equivalent university degree) in engineering and/or analytical sciences, e.g. chemical engineering, physical engineering, biophysics, analytical chemistry.
- The PhD project is part of the CONSENSE European programme https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/955623. The programme combines advanced molecular engineering with optical detection technologies to yield generic, affinity-based biosensing technologies. CONSENSE provides exceptional training to 15 PhD students in renown universities, allowing them to develop professionally and perform world-class research that will fundamentally advance the field of continuous biomolecular monitoring for healthcare.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
Prof. M.W.J. Prins, m.w.j.prins[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
- a curriculum vitae including the names and contact details of at least two references
- lists of courses and grades of your BSc and MSc degrees, as originals and as transcripts
- your final BSc thesis and your final MSc thesis (if available).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.