PhD in graph data management
4-years PhD student position in knowledge graph data management (data acquisition, semantic modelling, data interlinking, search & navigation).
Irène Curie Fellowship
Mathematics and Computer Science
The position will be with the Databases group of the TU Eindhoven, which is part of the cluster Data and Artificial Intelligence. You will join a vibrant team of 4 permanent researchers/academics and 8 PhD students and postdocs, and work in an exciting EU project with industry leaders and other top research institutes across Europe. You will participate in cutting-edge research, publish your work in leading conferences and journals for data management (SIGMOD, VLDB, TODS, TKDE), contribute in open-source tools, and collaborate with industry leaders to apply these tools in real world. You will travel to present your work, and to participate in meetings with world-class academics and industrial partners.
The position is funded by EU project SciLake, which focuses on designing, developing, evaluating, and showcasing an open, transparent, and customizable scientific data-lake-as-a-service which aims to contribute to the democratization of scholarly content by offering discipline-tailored, AI-assisted functionalities to facilitate researchers in navigating the respective vast knowledge space. The project is a joint effort of 9 research partners and 4 European industry leaders.
Your main activities will be to:
- push the state-of-the-art on knowledge graph modelling, creation, and navigation
- develop and adapt schema mapping techniques, data interlinking through graph dependencies, and graph data lake search and navigation
- apply your research results in real-world problems, with real data and users. Discuss with the domain experts to identify problems, limitations, and further challenges
- conduct research in data engineering, publish papers in top conferences and journals, identify research challenges.
MSc degree in computer science, computer engineering, or similar;
- Excellent knowledge of at least one of Python, C, C++, Java;
- A solid background in science or engineering, with strong mathematical affinity;
- Excellent command of English. If English is not the native language of the candidate, TOEFL or similar with high grade;
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, proactive, goal-oriented;
- Capability and willingness to work independently, as well as in an interdisciplinary team; - Experience in open-source software will be considered an advantage;
- Publications in top-tier conferences and journals of databases/data management will be considered additional advantages.
Conditions of employment
A PhD degree from a European university ranked among the top-100 in the world. A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (€ 2.541 per month in the first year increasing up to € 3.247 in the fourth year.).
- Travel funding for presenting your work at the leading conferences and for research visits; -support for your personal development and career planning including courses, summer schools, conference visits etc.;
- Possibility to participate in supervision of MSc students;
- An extensive package of fringe benefits (e.g. support in moving expenses and commuting expenses, excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus child care, and excellent sports facilities, extra holiday allowance (8%, May), and end-of-year bonus (8.3%, December));
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact the hiring manager dr. N. Yakovets, email n.yakovets[at]tue.nl.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HR Services via e-mail, HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and qualifications for the position;
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae, including contact details of referees;
- Key publications, if any (or links to download).
- A transcript of your grades.
- Copies of your degrees and diplomas
- A copy or a link to your Master thesis. If you have not completed it yet, please explain your current situation.
Selected candidates may be invited first for an online interview and then for onsite visits to TU/e. Original degrees or certified copies will be requested at a second stage, for selected candidates.
The selection process will start immediately and will continue until the positions get filled. The positions are fully funded and available starting immediately.
You can upload a maximum of 5 documents of up to 2MB each. Only applications that are submitted in this way are taken into account.