PDEng trainee – Efficient Comfortable School Indoor Air Quality
Are you eager to design a healthy, comfortable and energy-efficient school ventilation systems and to implement a smart control strategy? Are you our next PDEng trainee in the PDEng program SBC Smart Buildings & Cities?
Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng trainee)
SBC PDEng program
The SBC PDEng program wants to contribute to the transition towards smart, intelligent and sustainable cities where quality of life is high. This transition requires new solutions which can only be created through multiscale and transdisciplinary (design) approaches. This requires technical designers who are able to work in a multidisciplinary environment and know how to communicate with different disciplines and stake holders. This PDEng program educates trainees to become those technical designers! Please note that this program is about technological design, i.e., the process of solving problems by means of a technological design,
this in contrast to (PhD) research, which is the process of understanding problems.
The trainee position leads to the degree of ‘Professional Doctorate in Engineering’ (PDEng).
The program consists of two main parts running in parallel:
- Half of the program consists of post-master level education in the form of generic design projects and courses about design methods, entrepreneurship, professional skills and several technical courses about topics relevant to design project.
- The other half of the program is dedicated to an individual design project in collaboration with a company. It is the main responsibility of the trainee to manage and execute the project. Each trainee is supported by an advisor from the company and an advisor from the university.
The company design project related to this traineeship is to design a system that provides a healthy, comfortable and energy-efficient ventilation for schools within the existing investment and maintenance budgets. For this knowledge and insights from building services management and maintenance will be used in the development of products for new and existing school buildings. The objective of the PDEng assignment is to design school ventilation systems and implement a smart control strategy based on a modelbased approach as well as on a Big Data learning approach as part of a Continuous Commissionings approach. The PDEng trainee will be embedded in the Building Services group.
We are looking for candidates with:
- an excellent and highly motivated candidate with an MSc degree in Building Science, Informatics, Mathematical, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, or equivalent. Interest in physical processes (heat, air and moisture transfer) in the built environment, sustainable energy technologies and computational building performance simulation is essential.
- an interest in developing new control technologies and applications for the built environment
- a design-oriented attitude.
- ability to work in a team and interested in collaborating with the industrial partners.
- an academic attitude in order to develop new technologies and perform applied research with an integral view on what is needed for the future built environment.
- an excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with a close relationship to industry.
- A full-time employment for two years.
- To support you during your PDEng and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PDEng trainees.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more about the project?
Please contact prof.ir. Wim Zeiler, w.zeiler[at]tue.nl
For more information on the SBC program, please contact dr. L.Hensen Centnerová,
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include (in Pdf format):
- Maximum two page letter of motivation
- Maximum three page curriculum vitae
- Copies of relevant BSc and MSc diplomas with transcripts + copies of English proficiency tests scores such as IELTS or TOEFL
- Copy (or a most recent draft version) of your MSc thesis
- At least two names with contact details (preferably e-mail) of people whom we may contact for more information about you and your thesis, or last professional work.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files or reduce the resolution of your documents.
An excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
The application deadline for this position is April 30, 2021. After this deadline the high potential candidates will be shortlisted. These candidates will be invited for a second selection round. In this second round the candidates are requested to send a small assignment (max. 2-3 pages). After this round the most promising candidates are invited for an interview with a selection committee. After all interviews are conducted the selection committee will decide who will be offered the trainee position. Our aim is to inform the candidate of our final decision no later than May 31, 2021.