Team Education and Student Affairs of the department of Mathematics and Computer science is looking for an Academic Advisor
Non academic staff (supporting staff)
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
In this position you will be part of the Education and Student Affairs (ESA) team of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. The ESA team is responsible for all support of all education (both Bachelor's and Master's) of the faculty. Behind the scenes, it provides a well-coordinated curriculum, study schedule, evaluation and improvement of subjects, organization and coordination of education and, of course, academic advising.
The Academic advisor reports to the Team Lead Center for Academic Advising of the department.
As an academic advisor you will fulfil the following tasks, among others:
- Advising students based on single intervention on study attitude, pace of study, planning and tackling study problems, personal problems and, if necessary, ensuring referral to other professionals;
- Monitoring the study progress of both bachelor's and master's students;
- Informing students about study-related matters;
- Advising on binding study advice for first-year students;
- Advising the program directors and the examination committee on requests from students and incorporating these in process and policy advice;
- Advising the program directors on the scope and application of relevant regulations and upcoming changes to them;
- Participating in university-wide consultation structures and working groups with regard to student guidance, policy, organization and educational innovation.
- You have an academic working and thinking level and a strong affinity with STEM (a STEM background is an advantage);
- You have good face-to-face and (preferably) online communication skills and are able to use the right conversation techniques at the right time;
- You have a well-developed empathic ability and a certain natural preponderance;
- You have excellent analytical skills and organizational sensitivity;
- You are a team player, are result-oriented and have a good organizational ability;
- Naturally, you have an excellent command of the English language, both spoken and written.
Conditions of employment
- A position for 24 – 40 hours a week (0.6 – 1.0 fte), starting with a temporary appointment for 1 year, with the possibility of extension;
- A salary, depending on education and experience, of a minimum of € 2,835.00 and a maximum of € 4,274.00 gross per month (scale 9 or 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch universities (CAO NU)) in case of full-time employment;
- In addition to good primary conditions, there are also excellent fringe benefits, such as the ABP pension scheme, study/training facilities etc. In addition, you will receive an annual 8% holiday allowance, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and 41 days of leave in the case of full-time employment.
- A pleasant, stimulating and challenging working environment in which English is the working language.
Information and application
Information and application
For substantive information about the position, please contact Yves Houben, Team Leader M&CS Center for Academic Advising, by e-mail: y.h.m.houben@[at]tue.nl.
If you are interested in this vacancy, please upload your motivation and CV via the "Apply for this job" button (max. 10 MB). You can apply for this position until March 16, 2020. This vacancy will be advertised both internally and externally at the same time. In case of equal suitability, internal candidates will be given priority.