2 PhD's in Knowledge Graph creation, management, and analytics
Irène Curie Fellowship
Mathematics and Computer Science
We seek to fill two PhD student positions in the Data and Artificial Intelligence Cluster, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). You will join a vibrant and diverse team of 15 faculty and over 40 PhD students and postdocs advancing the science and engineering of data, machine learning, and AI systems and applications. You will work in an exciting industry-university project, jointly with Marel, the global leader in food processing systems. You will participate in cutting-edge research, publish your work in leading conferences and journals for data and knowledge management, contribute in open-source tools, and collaborate closely to design and apply these tools in the real world industrial context of Marel. You will travel regularly to the company site. You will also travel to present your work at high-profile scientific meetings and conferences.
Your main activities will be to:
- advance the state-of-the-art on knowledge graph modeling, extraction, creation, curation, maintenance, and interaction/use, driven by concrete use-cases in Marel, working closely together in collaboration with use-case partners.
- apply your research results in real-world problems, with real data and users. Discuss with the domain experts to identify problems, limitations, and further challenges.
- conduct research in data and knowledge engineering, publish papers in top conferences and journals, identify research challenges, and create working software prototypes.
About Marel. Marel (www.marel.com) is the leading global provider of advanced processing systems and services to the Poultry, Meat and Fish industries. In partnership with customers we are transforming the way food is processed. Our vision is a world where quality food is produced sustainably and affordably. Marel's team has approximately 7000 employees worldwide, with offices and subsidiaries in 32 countries across six continents.
- MSc degree in computer science, data science, or similar;
- Excellent knowledge of at least one of Java, C, C++, Scala, Python;
- A solid background in science or engineering, with strong mathematical affinity;
- Excellent command of English. If English is not the native language of the candidate, TOEFL or similar with high grade;
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, proactive, goal-oriented;
- Capability and willingness to work independently, as well as in an interdisciplinary team including domain experts;
- Capability and willingness to facilitate and co-supervise MSc thesis projects related to the project will be considered an advantage;
- Experience in open-source software will be considered an advantage;
- Publications in top-tier conferences and journals (e.g., in databases/data management/AI/ML) will be considered additional advantages.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
prof.dr. George Fletcher (g.h.l.fletcher[at]tue.nl) and/or prof.dr. Mykola Pechenizkiy (m.pechenizkiy[at]tue.nl
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact TU/e HR Services via e-mail, HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and qualifications for the position;
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae, including contact details of referees;
- Key publications, if any (or links to download).
- A transcript of your grades.
- Copies of your degrees and diplomas
- A copy or a link to your Master thesis. If you have not completed it yet, please explain your current situation.
Selected candidates may be invited first for an online interview and then for onsite visits to TU/e and Marel. Original degrees or certified copies will be requested at a second stage, for selected candidates.
The selection process will start immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. The positions are fully funded and available immediately.
You can upload a maximum of 5 documents of up to 2MB each. Only applications that are submitted in this way are taken into account.