PhD: Prediction of environmental noise through building skins (V38.2874)
PhD: Prediction of environmental noise through building skins
Acoutect is a European training network that has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie action (H2020-MSCA-ITN-2016). Acoutect marries “Acoustics” and “Architect” and responds to the important role that Acousticians have in the design of modern buildings.
TRAINING PROGRAMME FOR EARLY STAGE RESEARCHERS (ESRs)
Acoutect project includes a comprehensive and coherent scientific and transferable skills training programme for the ESRs. The training is provided via the individual research projects, summer schools, courses, workshops and secondments. The main goals of the training are:
- provide ESRs with the prerequisites to undertake research and development in the field of building acoustics, ensuring acoustic quality of modern and future building concepts,
- build excellent perspectives for a career of the ESRs in industry or academia within the area of building acoustics.
In areas where buildings are exposed to high levels of environmental noise, the building skin needs to provide high levels of sound insulation. Advanced, multifunctional building skins that fit in the concept of sustainable low-energy buildings are important in this respect. To enable natural ventilation of buildings in such areas, façade concepts should be developed that enable ventilation but at the same time offer high sound insulation. For the integration of acoustic performance in modern building envelope concepts, appropriate acoustic tools and acoustic concepts will be developed in this project. By using a wave-based or hybrid wave-based energy model including fluid-structure interaction coupling, the whole frequency range of interest can be solved. This model will support the development of innovative and sustainable skin designs.
Your research project will focus on the development of acoustic numerical modelling methods in such a way that they can be incorporated in the design of modern façades. It contains development and implementation of the methods, validation of the method for typical building skins and application to advanced building skins.
Conditions of employment
All candidates must be fluent in spoken and written English. The R&D is highly multidisciplinary. The ideal candidate has a MSc in engineering (e.g. acoustics, computational engineering, physics).
Knowledge of computational modelling, programming languages and signal processing is a strong advantage.
All members of the network are equal opportunity employers.
Information and application
- Full-time employment as a PhD-candidate for a period of 4 years,
- Annually 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end of year allowance;
- Additional funding for participation to courses, workshops, international conferences, etc. is ensured;
- Support with your personal development and career planning including courses, summer schools, conference visits etc.;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, child care, moving expenses, savings schemes, coverage of costs of publishing the dissertation and excellent sports facilities)