PhD position within the WINLAS project (V32.2782)
PhD position within the WINLAS project
In the last few years tactical scenarios have changed significantly. More and more conflicts are nowadays placed in urban areas rather than in open field ones. As a consequence the requirements to support classical open field operations are sensibly different from those needed in military operations in urban terrain. The urban environment is significantly different that the utility of conventional sensing and communication platforms is rendered problematic.The objective of WINLAS is to analyse and demonstrate how the environment perception can be improved by using new technologies (i.e. sensor networking and data management) in order to manage a big number of heterogeneous sensors placed in an urban environment. In addition, the project will investigate how the situational awareness of forces can be improved and how mission effectiveness is affected.Within WINLAS, the goal of the SEC group is the design of a flexible authorization solution for IoT systems. Moreover, it will focus on security and privacy aspects of data fusion.An extensive project description is available on request.
- carry out research within the project, in cooperation with the other parties involved;
- develop and maintain the tools required by the project, in cooperation with the other parties involved;
- contribute to the writing of scientific papers;
- finishing a PhD thesis within four years;
- a small contribution to the teaching activities of the Security group may be asked.
We are looking for a candidate who meets the following requirements:
- a MSc in Computer Science, Mathematics or closely related field with above average results;
- a research oriented attitude;
- interest in computer security and formal methods;
- knowledge of Java;
- good communicative skills in English, both written and oral;
- ability to work in a team, cooperate with the industrial partners;
Conditions of employment
- full-time employment as a PhD-candidate for a period of 4 years;
- a gross salary of € 2.191 per month in the first year increasing up to €2.801 in the fourth year;
- annually 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end of year allowance;
- support with your personal development and career planning including courses, summer schools, conference visits etc.;
- a broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, child care, moving expenses, savings schemes, coverage of costs of publishing the dissertation and excellent sports facilities).
Information and application
For more information about the project, please contact dr. N. Zannone, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about employment conditions please contact drs. C.M. Kuiters (HR advisor), e-mail: email@example.com
The application should consist of the following parts:
- a motivation letter;
- a Curriculum Vitae;
- copies of your diplomas together with the list of grades, and other relevant certificates;
- names and addresses of two referees;
- proof of English language skills (if applicable);
- a 2-page research statement about the project topics.
Please apply by using the 'Apply now' button on top of this page.
Applications submitted by e-mail will not be considered.