PhD on strong light-matter coupling with plasmonic systems (V34.2863)
PhD on strong light-matter coupling with plasmonic systems
The Photonics and Semiconductor Nanophysics group at Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands) is looking for excellent candidates for an open PhD student position on nanoplasmonics and strong light-matter coupling.
In this project, we will investigate large arrays of nanocavities made of resonant metallic nanoparticles (plasmonic scatterers) and how these arrays can modify macroscopic properties of materials in their proximity. This modification is due to the strong light-matter coupling between the optical modes in the arrays and excitonic or vibronic excitations in the materials. Through the combination of different experimental techniques involving ultrafast spectroscopy and microscopy, we will investigate the dynamics of strong coupling and the formation of macroscopic quantum coherent states.
You will work closely with other researchers in the Photonics and Semiconductor Nanophysics group, under the supervision of Prof. Jaime Gomez Rivas. The project will involve collaborations within the Department of Applied Physics and electrical Engineering, the Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER) and with international collaborators. You will lead largely experimental research and compare your results with theoretical predictions.
About TU/e and the PSN group
TU/e is an international university with a high-tech focus. It offers state-of-the-art research facilities at the heart of one of Europe’s foremost technological hubs.
The Photonics and Semiconductor Nanophysics group in the Department of Applied Physics combines expertise in diverse areas of Photonics, Optoelectronics, Quantum Optics, Nanotechnology, and advanced semiconductor fabrication and characterization techniques. It houses extensive optical and low-temperature equipment and it has access to NanoLab@TU/e, an 800 m2 fully-equipped cleanroom.
More information can be found at http://www.phys.tue.nl/psn/ .The group of Prof. Gomez Rivas is also located at DIFFER ( https://www.differ.nl/research/photonics-for-energy ).
Individuals with top grades in a Bachelor degree in Physics or Electrical Engineering are encouraged to apply. The candidate should hold (or expect to obtain soon) a Master degree in a closely related discipline.
The successful candidate has a strong background and interest in Optics/Photonics, Nanotechnology, or Semiconductor Physics. Experience in Nanophotonics, 2D materials, or photoluminescence microscopy will be considered an advantage. She/he must have the drive to tackle a complex problem with independence and a dynamic character to lead a project to completion.
Conditions of employment
- An exciting job at the forefront of research in the Photonics and Semiconductor Nanophysics (PSN) group.
- A full time appointment for four years at Eindhoven University of Technology.
- Gross monthly salary from €2191 (first year) to €2801 (fourth year) in line with the Collective Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program), end-of-year allowance, and excellent sports facilities.
Information about the PROOF Program can be found here.
Information and application
If interested, please use the 'Apply now' button to send us:
- Your CV.
- A brief motivation letter (max. 1 page).
- If available, your bachelor or master thesis.
- A list of courses and grades during relevant studies, including GPA in its local scale.
- Name and contact details (email and phone) of at least one scientist able and willing to provide references.
For additional information, contact Prof. Jaime Gomez Rivas (firstname.lastname@example.org).