PhD development of a solid state transformer for application in smart grids (V36.2833)
PhD development of a solid state transformer for application in smart grids
PhD student on the development of a solid state transformer for application in smart grids in the Electrical Energy Systems (EES) group , department of Electrical Engineering.
The Department of Electrical Engineering is one of the nine departments of the Eindhoven University of Technology and provides BSc and MSc programs in Electrical Engineering. The department has nine research groups and has research collaborations with other departments at the Eindhoven University of Technology as well as with a large number of other universities and companies, both within the Netherlands and internationally. The department has approximately 350 employees and 600 students.
Within the Dutch Topsector Energy the TKI Urban Energy has launched a new round of projects related to the Innovation Contract. For the Flexible & Active – Power Electronic Substation we are looking for a motivated and experienced PhD candidate. Starting date as soon as possible.
The project aims to develop a flexible MV/LV substation based on solid-state transformer (SST) technology that will provide a distribution network operator with additional functionality to cope with the changing character of the grid associated with high penetration levels of renewables and distributed energy resources. The project will deliver a proof-of-concept as well as a demonstrator for a field trial of 1 year in the Dutch distribution grid of Enexis or Alliander.
In addition, the project aims to:
• investigate the impact of a SST on power quality of distribution grids
• investigate the impact of a SST on energy efficiency in distribution grids
• investigate the feasibility for providing ancillary services to the grid
• investigate the impact on reliability of deploying an SST substation compared to standard transformer based substations.
• analyze the socio-economic benefit of the proposed solution.
The project includes power electronic control and protection, electro-magnetic transformer design, (real-time) modelling, simulation and extensive laboratory and field testing.
We are looking for a candidate with:
- a M.Sc.-degree in either Electrical or Electronics Engineering;
- a strong background in the field of power electronics, specifically with its application in power systems (medium voltage and low voltage);
- a strong background in the field of electromagnetics, specifically with its application in high-frequency power transformers;a solid
- knowledge on power electronic control and protection;
- a solid knowledge on power electronic and power system modelling;
- good written and spoken command of English language;
- a positive attitude, be a team player, be curious and eager to explore new territories.
Conditions of employment
We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university through a fixed-term appointment for the period of 4 years. The research in this project must be concluded with the attainment of a PhD degree.
As an employee of the university you will receive a competitive salary as well as excellent employment conditions. A salary is offered starting at EUR 2191 per month (gross) in the first year and increasing up to EUR 2801 per month (gross) in the last year. Moreover 8% bonus share (holiday supplement) is provided annually. Assistance for finding accommodation can be given. The university offers an attractive package of fringe benefits such as excellent technical infrastructure, child care, savings schemes, and excellent sports facilities.
TU/e offers opportunities for personal development by developing your social and communication skills. We do this by offering every PhD student a series of courses that are part of the PROOF program as an excellent addition to your scientific education.
Information and application
For further information you can contact: dr. E.C.W. de Jong, E.C.W.de.Jong@tue.nl .
For information concerning employment conditions you can contact Ms. Tanja van Waterschoot, tel. + 31 402474688,
If you are interested in this PhD position, please apply by using the 'Apply Now'-button. You should upload the following information (all in English):
• a cover letter explaining your motivation and qualifications for the position;
• a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications);
• contact information of two references;
• copies of diplomas; and
• proof of English language skills (if applicable).
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each.