PDEng trainee (V38.2913)
The Department of the Built Environment of the Eindhoven University of Technology offers you a trainee position to follow a two-year post-master technological designer program, which leads to the degree of 'Professional Doctorate in Engineering' (PDEng). The SEB&C program consists of two main parts:
1. Workshops. You will follow technical workshops in which you acquire knowledge concerning important concepts of disciplines other than your own (master) specialism. You will follow these workshops with other SEB&C trainees (all with different master specialisms). The workshops increase your ability to effectively and efficiently communicate with these other disciplines in multidisciplinary design teams. Furthermore, you will follow workshops on design methods, entrepreneurship and professional skills.
2. Design projects. You will work on a design project with a group of SEB&C trainees and you will work on an individual project assignment (as a part of EU Horizon 2020 project, see description below). It is your main responsibility to manage and execute the project. You are supported by advisors from the university.
A significant part of the first year of the program is dedicated to the workshops, while the second year is mostly dedicated to the project assignment. Nonetheless you will start working on project assignment from the start of the program. The project assignment related to this traineeship is described below.
This PDEng will be hired for a Horizon 2020 Eurpoean Project named "ROCK"(Regeneration and Optimisation of Cultural heritage in creative and Knowledge cities), under the work program: Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials. ROCK project has 32 partners across Europe and The Netherlands part is managed by TU/e and municipality of Eindhoven. The overall project focuses on historic city centers as extraordinary laboratories to demonstrate how cultural heritage can be a unique and powerful engine of regeneration, sustainable development and economic growth for the whole city. Within this project, PDEng will focus on sustainability in terms of durability of the cultural event activities in historic city centers by taking into account reduction of carbon footprint for combination of mobility and entertainment. The purpose of this research is to meet this sustainability challenge by analyzing the spatial centrality of resources such as attraction sites and economic activities, urban mobility, and the spatial perception of people in cities.
For that purpose, PDEng will:
- Conduct a literature review on sustainable urban development and mobility
- Utilize Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and associated software to produce, display, and analyze geographic information
- Conduct and Coordinate GPS data collection to understand people’s mobility patterns in Eindhoven, The Netherlands and other cities in Europe
- Gather data through location-based social network platforms to understand the perception of people about their surroundings
- Integrate GPS and location-based social network data into GIS software
- Create, organize, manipulate, and retrieve GIS data for reporting, analysis, and presentation purposes
- Work under supervision of project managers
We are looking for an excellent and highly motivated candidate with:
- MSc degree in Urban Planning, Geographical Information Systems, Geography, Transport Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- Experience on working with a Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software and GIS databases
- Knowledge/interest of sustainable urban development and sustainable urban mobility
- Knowledge of GIS fundementals and techniques related to data manipulation, geoprocessing, data management, and capture of metadata
- Knowledge of programming (as a plus)
- An excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing
- An interest in developing new sustainable technologies and applications for the built environment
- An academic attitude in order to develop new technologies and perform applied research with an integral view on what is needed for future built environment
Conditions of employment
We offer a fulltime traineeship of two years. The traineeship is a formal employment at the Eindhoven University of Technology according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). Trainees receive a financial compensation according to this standard. Bruto salary: € 1803. Trainees are provided with their own work place in the building of the Department of the Built Environment. The university provides all general modern facilities belonging to first class universities; mediation in housing, excellent sport facilities, language courses, modern digital library facilities etc. For more information please visit http://www.tue.nl/en/.
Information and application
How to apply?
We would like to receive the following five documents (in Pdf format):
1. Maximum two page letter of motivation
2. Maximum three page curriculum vitae
3. Copies of relevant BSc and MSc diplomas with transcripts + copies of English proficiency tests scores such as IELTS or TOEFL
4. Copy (or a most recent draft version) of your MSc thesis
5. At least two names with contact details (preferably e-mail) of people whom we may contact for more information about you and your thesis, or last professional work.
Please do not upload documents larger than 2MB, so if necessary reduce the resolution of your documents. A maximum of 5 documents can be uploaded.
For more information about the ROCK project, you can contact Dr. Gamze Dane, firstname.lastname@example.org