PDEng position: ATLASS project (MSM Group) (V36.2878)
PDEng position: ATLASS project (MSM Group)
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e, www.tue.nl) is a world-leading research university specializing in engineering science & technology. Within the Electrical Engineering (EE) Department, the Mixed Signal Microelectronics (MSM) group focuses on analog and mixed-signal circuit design for front ends, including AD and DA conversion. The EE department strives for societal relevance through an emphasis on the fields of smart sustainable systems, the connected world, and care and cure. The TU/e is the world’s best-performing research university in terms of research cooperation with industry (#1 since 2009).
The ATLASS project
Electronics made with organic thin-film transistors (TFTs) can be printed with high throughput at near-to-ambient temperature on inexpensive plastic films: it is thus emerging as a high-potential technology to make electronics at ultra-low cost per area.
ATLASS is an EU Horizon 2020 project on advanced printed electronics. It counts a large number of partners, including both leading institutes in the technology of printed electronics (e.g. Joanneum Research, Austria; CEA-Liten, France and VTT, Finland) and major commercial players in the field of printed/flexible electronics (e.g. Merck, Thin Film Electronics and Plastic Logic).
ATLASS will focus on systems built by hybrid integration of sensor/actuator foils and TFT circuits printed on foil, to enable early processing of the sensor data and communication to the outside world. Custom IC Silicon electronics will also be part of the complete systems. This approach ideally combines the strongest points of each technology and promises to enable inexpensive, large and high-performance applications like pressure sensing surfaces for shock analysis, flexible electronic labels integrating NFC capability with displays, and electronic labels with sensors.
The team at TU Eindhoven will take responsibility within ATLASS of most circuit and system design tasks.
The major challenges for the PDEng position are:
- System level design of the final ATLASS demonstrators together with the commercial partners;
- PCB design based on discrete components and design of some functions using printed TFTs to realize the proposed demonstrator systems.
The main results expected from the Smart-press research are:
- A printed pressure sensing surface for crash tests;
- A printed sensor label that can be interrogated via NFC;
- A label integrating a flexible display and RFID or NFC communication.
For this project, a candidate with MSc degree in Electrical Engineering, having very good knowledge and background in analogue/mixed-signal Integrated Circuit (IC) design and in the design of electronic systems will be selected and hired as PDEng student in the Mixed-Signal Microelectronics (MSM) Group for a 2-years period. He/she will work under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Ir. E. Cantatore, a world-renown expert in the field of large-area electronics on foil. The candidate will closely cooperate with the other international industrial ATLASS partners in a unique, extremely stimulating, multidisciplinary research environment.
Your CV must include a complete list of the marks obtained during your whole university carrier.
Conditions of employment
We offer a fulltime temporary appointment for the period of 2 years. Participants will receive a gross monthly salary of € 1803,- . Moreover 8% bonus share (holiday supplement) and end of year allowance is provided annually. Assistance for finding accommodation can be given. The university offers an attractive package of fringe benefits such as excellent technical infrastructure, child care, savings schemes, and excellent sports facilities.
Information and application
If interested, please use the 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following:
- a well-motivated application letter including your ideas about your professional future.
- an extended curriculum vitae.
- copies of your original B.Sc and M.Sc diplomas, certificates, lists of subjects and your results, as well as their certified (English) translations. Include rankings if available.
- copies of your Final B.Sc and M.Sc projects including English abstracts and (if applicable) published papers (PDF files). Submit at least one document written in English of which you are the main author.
- results of your IELTS test (or equivalent).
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each!